The Public Space Days provide a framework and space for discussion and action on public space.
The aim of the event is to highlight the importance of public spaces in our societies and to advocate for open, democratic and inclusive public spaces in our cities. It is our understanding that inclusive and open public spaces are crucial for building and fostering a democratic city in particular, and an inclusive and just society in general. It is also our understanding that the public, open and democratic character of public spaces in our cities is currently under threat.
Commercialization (forcing public spaces to work for profit), securitization (increasing surveillance), policing (excluding undesirable users and behaviors) – are some of the process that affect the access and the quality of public spaces.
The Public Space Days will bring together activists, policy makers, artists, active citizens, scholars, architects and the general public in order to raise awareness on topics concerning protection, democratization and opening of public spaces, to share insights and reflections on the transformations of public spaces, to share practices, ways of organizing and collective action that foster and reproduce democratic public spaces.
The highlights of the event:
* International Conference “The City as a Common Good”.
* Workshops on on-line mapping, organizing and campaigning (with Igor Stokfiszewski, Tudor Brădățan, Florin Bădița).
* Performance with Jihane El Meddeb.
* Guided thematic tours of the city (the tour of corruption in Chișinău with Mihai Goțiu, the tour of the Cantemir ghost-boulevard with Vladimir Us, the tour of socialist modernism with Ștefan Rusu).
* Screenings (URSUS. MOVIE ESSAY, a film by Jasmina Wojcik, AUTOPCITY, a film by Stefan Rusu and DACIA 1300, MY GENERATION – a film by Ștefan Constantinescu)
* The inauguration of the exhibitions “right to PARKing”, curated by Vladimir Us and ”Speaking walls” by Jihane El Meddeb.
* Discussion of the project of rehabilitation of the București68 square.
* A civic café and a civic fair.
The detailed program of the 2nd edition of The Public Space Days can be found here.
The events will take place in several locations: Zpace (The House of Gubernial Zemstva), Zaikin Park, Flat Space, Guguta Café (Stefan cel Mare Public Park), Gallery (Faculty of Fine Arts / Academy of Music, Theatre and Fine Arts), Faculty of History and Philosophy (Moldova State University), Faculty of Urban Planning and Architecture(Moldova Technical University).
The Public Space Days are organized with the generous support of European Cultural Foundation (ECF) / Ministry of Culture of Republic of Moldova / Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of Republic of Poland / MItOst (TANDEM Ukraine) / Culture Department of Chisinau Municipality.
All events during Public Space Days are open and free for everyone to attend. And you can follow the event live via Oberliht’s twitter account @oberliht_md
- Public Space Days 2016 in Chisinau, Moldova - September 6, 2016
- International Summer School: Architecture – Installations – Landscaping - July 21, 2016
- The Open Air Cinema in Chisinau - July 8, 2016
- Open Air Cinema: the City as place for imagination, May-June 2016, Chisinau - May 27, 2016
- Community and Participation: The Battle for public space. 29/03/16, Chisinau - March 21, 2016