The PTJ editors invite researchers and scholars to reflect on achievements of the Central and Eastern European avant-garde in the first half of the twentieth century, as well as potential and extant contemporary inspirations from the avant-garde, whether in artistic, social or organizational dimensions of theatre and theatrical practices. PTJ seeks articles spanning both the presentation of select achievements, projects and concepts of that historical avant-garde, and contemporary references to them. Aiming to present under-recognized achievements of largely but not exclusively the Polish avant-garde, we encourage proposals that reflect on contemporary theatre practices considered as developments from explorations by the avant-garde, in terms both of direct reference to concepts and practices of artists from a century ago and analogies between questions posed or answers posited by them.
Examples include the following issues:
– Reinterpretation of existing ways of understanding, presenting and evaluating avant-garde concepts from the perspective of contemporary methodology and theory
– Expanding analyses of avant-garde theatre to areas lying beyond strictly defined limits of theatre as institution and art form, including in particular performative dimensions of avant-garde visual arts, architecture and urban planning, drama and theatricality of music, spatialization of literature, etc.
– Experiments with theatrical space, especially the search for means of breaking down the theatre box and responding to ways of seeing the world as these are altered by technology
– Searching for new theatrical forms through appealing to new audiences with varied expectations and cultural habits and aptitudes
– Relations between the avant-garde and the mainstream in their respective institutional and artistic aspects
– Analogies and divergences between the avant-gardes of Central and Eastern Europe.
An abstract of a proposed text (abstract and text may be written in Polish or in English) of around 300 words should be sent to the editorial staff at [email protected] or uploaded to the website www.polishtheatrejournal.com (open-system journal). Deadline is January 31, 2018.