It’s the EU’s 60th birthday this weekend, and leaders of all EU countries will be in Rome that day to celebrate it. Their goal? To preserve the status quo.
We, the Democracy in Europe Movement, see things differently. We want to give the people of Europe a real alternative to the Establishment and the rising ‘nationalist international’; a progressive path to save Europe from itself.
That’s why this weekend we’ll be landing in Rome to set that alternative in motion, over three days of events and important announcements. And we invite you to be part of it!
Here’s what will be happening* :
- On Friday, March 24 our co-founder Yanis Varoufakis and friends will hold a press conference, where they will make an important announcement on the international progressive alliance we are now building.
- On Saturday, March 25 we will take to the streets of Rome alongside other progressive groups, as part of the March For A Different Europe that we have co-organised.
- When the march concludes, we will hold an Open Assembly with our members and activists, to regroup before our main event.
- On the evening of Saturday, March 25, we will host “The Time Of Courage”, a gathering of Europe’s brightest progressive minds – like Podemos co-founder Juan Carlos Monedero and award-winning film director (and DiEM25 Advisor) Ken Loach – in a 1,000-seat theatre. Here we will launch our European New Deal – a set of ambitious economic proposals to save Europe from itself by transforming it – putting it to vote for our entire membership.
- On Sunday, March 26, we will participate in a pioneering cultural event in Rome’s MAXXI contemporary art museum, alongside some of the most interesting voices today in politics and art. Here we will launch DiEM Voice, an on-going art platform that will serve as an integral part of our movement’s future. We will also screen Ken Loach’s Palme d’Or and BAFTA-award winning movie “I, Daniel Blake”, which attacks the brutal austerity pushing millions of Europeans into hopelessness.
*If you’re interested in attending any or all the above events, mail [email protected]. If you’re a journalist and would like to explore the possibility of an interview with one of our spokespeople, mail [email protected].
Read more about the event on the official website of DiEM25.
- The Alternative to the EU’s “There Is No Alternative” - March 21, 2017
- Right-wing Lawmakers Curb Freedom of Press in Poland - December 18, 2016